15 killed after suicide blast hits Afghan funeral

0
(190620) -- JALALABAD (AFGHANISTAN), June 20, 2019 (Xinhua) -- Injured people receive medical treatment at a local hospital in Jalalabad city, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, on June 20, 2019. At least one person was confirmed dead and 20 others sustained injuries in a blast that rocked Jalalabad city on Thursday, provincial government spokesman Attaullah Khogyani said. (Xinhua/Saifurahman Safi)

Kabul:  At least 15 people were killed and 56 others injured after a suicide blast hit a funeral in Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province on Tuesday.

“The funeral was underway for a former Afghan local police official in Kuz Kunar district when the blast went off at 11,” the told Xinhua news agency.

Those among the killed was Abdullah Malakzai, a member of the provincial council,, the source said.

Among the injured, many of them in critical condition, were sent to hospitals in Kuz Kunar and the provincial capital of Jalalabad.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.