BRAMPTON: The City of Brampton and Ryerson University have signed an agreement to establish the Ryerson Innovation Zone in Downtown Brampton, an exciting milestone for postsecondary education in the city.
“The Ryerson-led Brampton Innovation Zone is modelled after and connected to Ryerson University’s world-recognized Zone network.”
These spaces are designed to bring people together to brainstorm, kickstart projects, and help take startups from early-stage incubated companies to established thriving businesses.
The new Innovation Zone will focus on the development of scalable businesses in Brampton, building and supporting high potential entrepreneurial teams.
“The Innovation Zone will:
• Provide thought leadership and access to national and international markets, and build a reputation of excellence
• Extend business infrastructure by supporting the growth of new businesses and fostering innovation in existing industries; such as creative industries, digital hospitality, intelligent transportation, and technology-enabled health services
• Support the Brampton 2040 Vision through building a City of Opportunities
• Develop, attract and retain local talent
• Create and nurture a network of influencers from all sectors in business, academia, and government through partners
Brampton is putting all the necessary pieces in place to support a robust innovation ecosystem.The Innovation Zone will open in early 2020 and will be a new addition to Brampton’s Innovation District, which includes:
• Brampton Entrepreneur Centre (Ideation /Co-working space)
• Ryerson-Brampton Innovation Zone (Start-Up Incubator)
• The site for the City’s future Centre for Innovation
• A scale-up incubator
“Mayor Patrick Brown said: “This is an exciting moment for Brampton and our continuing partnership with Ryerson University. This Innovation Zone takes us one step closer to a fully developed Innovation Ecosystem, which supports entrepreneurs at every stage of their journey. We are committed to working on all possible options and partnerships to address the needs of Brampton students, entrepreneurs and the future workforce. We have a great partner in Ryerson University and are thankful for their collaborative spirit. We look forward to many more years of the same.”
Mohamed Lachemi, President and Vice-Chancellor, Ryerson University, said: “We are looking forward to bringing our experience and expertise with start-ups and incubation to Brampton’s innovation district and I’d like to thank the City of Brampton for their commitment to this vision. The Ryerson Innovation Zone in
Brampton will help”foster ideas and connect entrepreneurs with various organizations in the region, while equipping them with the critical thinking and problem-solving skills needed to succeed and thrive in the modern economy.”