(NC) Plant-based eating has been one of the big trends of 2019 and has even taken centre stage as part of the new Canada’s Food Guide. Yet despite widespread awareness of the new food guide, according to recent survey commissioned by Becel, only one in two Canadians (52%) know what the recommended changes are when it comes to how and what to eat.
The beauty of plant-based eating is you don’t need to necessarily do a complete lifestyle overhaul. Simple swaps like substituting butter 1:1 with Becel, which is made with plant-based oils, including canola and sunflower oils, is a good first step.
It also doesn’t mean completely doing away with your favourite eats. Plant-based palates with a sweet tooth can try this easy cookie recipe made without eggs. This recipe creates deliciously soft and chewy cookies, perfect for any combination of mix-ins. Feel free to tailor this to your family and friends’ tastes, adding in anything from nuts to fruits to chocolate.
Plant-based Anything Goes Cookie Dough
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Makes: 30 cookies
- ½ cup (125 mL) Becel Original margarine
- 1 ¾ cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ¾ cup (180 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) mix-ins (e.g. dried fruit, dark chocolate chunks, nuts, seeds)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat margarine and granulated sugar using electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in applesauce on low speed for about 2 minutes or until blended. Beat in soy milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add in flour mixture and beat until just combined, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally (do not overmix). Fold in your choice of mix-ins. Refrigerate dough 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls on prepared baking sheet 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 5 minutes on wire rack; remove cookies from pan and cool completely.