DEARBORN, Mich: Ford has revealed the new 2022 Expedition, its flagship SUV, for families seeking epic adventures and memory-making road trips.
With an expanded lineup of models to choose from, new driver-assist and connected technologies, and a new Timberline series, the most off-road-capable in its class2.
“Expedition is more than family transportation. It’s a full-size SUV that allows families to share adventures and make connections confidently and comfortably,” said Kumar Galhotra, president, Americas & International Markets Group.
“We’ve refined almost every part of our new Expedition – from improved interiors to more connectivity enhancements to make the ownership experience as convenient as possible for the always-on lives of our customers.”
With millennials now accounting for the fastest growing demographic in the full-size SUV segment, the expanded lineup of the new 2022 Expedition is set to meet modern family needs and enable unique outdoor and roadtripping adventures.
Since the introduction of this generation flagship model in 2017, Expedition has nearly tripled its market share among full-size SUVs, even as competitors have fully redesigned their vehicles and new entrants try to gain a foothold.
• First Timberline series elevates the Expedition above the Jeep® Wagoneer with best available ground clearance in its class of 10.6 inches6 (versus a maximum 10 inches for Jeep Wagoneer), F-150 Raptor underbody protection and best available power in its class1
• Expedition Timberline SUV model weighs 4% less than Jeep Wagoneer SUV and boasts a better power-to-weight ratio, as Ford’s high-output 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine tops the Jeep Wagoneer SUV 5.7-liter V8 engine with 48 additional horsepower and 106 more lb.-ft. of torque5
• Stealth Edition Performance Package delivers 85 more horsepower and 127 lb.- ft. more torque5 than Chevrolet Tahoe® RST SUV with its 5.3-liter V8 engine Expedition SUV equipped with a 3.5-liter GTDI 4×2 has a maximum towing capability of 9,300 pounds, 900 more pounds than the two-wheel-drive Chevrolet Tahoe SUV with 5.3-liter V8 engine, at 8,400 pounds.7 This expanded lineup brings more personality and design distinction for each series – from Expedition XL to the premium Expedition Platinum, as well as the new Stealth Edition Performance Package and Timberline model – including bolder styling with standard LED headlamps, updated taillamps and new wheel choices.
Also, a new twin-spar mesh grille and fog lamps with chrome accents have been added to the Platinum. Ford once again delivers on its promise to offer more rugged SUVs and trucks with the new Expedition Timberline model – the most off-road-capable Expedition ever, which is set apart in the series with a unique grille and Active Orange exterior accents.
New Standard “Timberline sets a new standard with full-size SUV customers who need more passenger space, great off-road capability and a basecamp for life’s journeys,” said Mike Kipley, Ford Expedition chief engineer.
Timberline boosts Expedition trail capability, starting with standard 10.6-inch best ground clearance in its class and a wider track, while improved approach and departure angles enable deeper travel into the backcountry on tougher trails.
Timberline is powered by Ford’s high-output 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine producing 440 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque.2
Stealth Edition With athletic styling and a sport-tuned suspension, the new 2022 Expedition Stealth Edition Performance Package elevates on-road fun and driving confidence with best-in-class power from Ford’s high-output 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine producing 440 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque.2 The Expedition Platinum debuts Ford BlueCruise3 handsfree highway Driver-Assist Technology.
The available new feature builds upon Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-andGo, Lane Centering and Speed Sign Recognition. It allows owners to operate their vehicle handsfree on the highway while being monitored by a driver-facing camera to ensure they keep their eyes on the road.
Elevating the new instrument panel and craftsmanship further is an available 12.4-inch highdefinition digital gauge cluster that features a large information on-demand area, along with Expedition-specific graphics and animations that respond to the flagship’s selectable drive modes and can display off-roading data and turn-by-turn navigation.
Expedition comes equipped with Ford Power-Up software, which delivers regular vehicle enhancements to Ford owners, turning connected vehicle learnings into continuous quality improvements, new features and capabilities. These updates can improve the ownership experience and may help reduce the need for repair trips. Expedition elevates its audio experience with available Bang & Olufsen® Unleashed Sound System featuring 22 Speakers, including Subwoofer.
No other SUV offers more available speakers in its class4, along with 360-degree surround sound, which is available on Expedition King Ranch®, Platinum, Stealth Performance Edition Package and Timberline models. The rear-seat entertainment system has been enhanced to include Amazon Fire TV10 that lets passengers enjoy a wide variety of content from popular apps – all through high-definition touch screens now with 16 gigabytes of storage. Passengers can stream videos, play games, listen to music, get information, and watch downloaded programs – all while on the road.
2022 Expedition brings the most available Driver-Assist Technology features in its class:
• Road Edge Detection: This feature engages the steering system to help you maintain your position in the lane on roads with a visible line or a clear edge.
• Intersection Assist: It’s not easy to traverse a busy intersection, especially when you need to consider other vehicles around you. Intersection Assist uses the front camera and radar sensors to detect oncoming traffic while you are attempting to turn left. If there’s a risk of a potential collision with an oncoming vehicle, your vehicle can alert you and apply the brakes.
• Reverse Brake Assist: Backing out of parking spaces often puts drivers in situations with limited visibility, so this feature senses oncoming pedestrians and vehicles, alerts the driver, and automatically brakes if the vehicle is at risk of a collision.
• Evasive Steering Assist: It happens. Traffic is rolling along smoothly when suddenly there’s a slow or stopped vehicle in your path. This available feature can help make it easier to potentially avoid a collision.
• Active Air Dam: This new feature improves aerodynamics, deploying at speeds above 40 mph then automatically retracting at lower speeds for city driving and parking Expedition tows up to 9,300 pounds when equipped with the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package.7 The 2022 Ford Expedition is assembled at Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville, Kentucky, and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2022.