Mississauga: After weeks in quarantine, Canadian residents are venturing out as stay-at-home restrictions loosen. While Canadian drivers get reacquainted with the road, Nissan encourages them to utilize their vehicle’s advanced safety features.
Many of Nissan’s intelligent technologies are designed to help drivers operate more safely on roads and highways.
“Nissan has integrated intelligent driver-assist technologies such as Nissan’s ProPILOT Assist, Intelligent Cruise Control, Blind Spot Warning, High Beam Assist, Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto™ and Traffic Sign Recognition that can help drivers avoid common mistakes and improve road safety,” said Chris Reed, senior vice president, Research and Development, Nissan Technical Center North America.
“You use a lot of reflex memory when you operate a vehicle so if you have been off the roads for a while, now is a good time to understand how these features can truly improve the overall driving experience.”
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), technologies similar to Nissan’s intelligent Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection1 have been found to reduce crashes.
Technologies included in Nissan’s Safety Shield 3602, a suite of six advanced active safety and driver-assist technologies, are also showing real-world benefits.3
• Heading to another birthday parade? Re-familiarize yourself with Intelligent Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection, which can provide audio and visual alerts and even apply the brakes to help avoid or mitigate collisions. Nissan’s Rear Automatic Braking helps the driver detect stationary objects when backing up and, if necessary, can apply the brakes to help avoid a collision. Both technologies are part of Nissan Safety Shield 360.
• Pulling out of a curbside pickup spot? When backing out of a parking space, Rear Cross Traffic Alert5 makes it easy by watching the area around the rear of the vehicle and can warn you about detected approaching vehicles you might not see.
• Forgetting the speed limit? Traffic Sign Recognition keeps you up to date with the latest speed limit by detecting road signs as you go.
• Unintended lane drifting? Nissan Safety Shield 360 technologies can alert drivers if they begin to drift from their lane or if another vehicle is in their blind spot areas thanks to Lane Departure Warning6 and Blind Spot Warning7 systems. The ProPILOT Assist8 system combines Nissan’s Intelligent Cruise Control9 and Steering Assist technologies to maintain a gap with the car in front of you at a preset distance and to help keep the vehicle centered during single-lane highway driving, even on slight curves.
• Glued to your smartphone? Put the cell phone down when you’re behind the wheel and rely on the intelligent connectivity tools such as NissanConnect® with Navigation and Services, featuring Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™, for directions, phone calls and messaging.10
About Nissan ProPILOT Assist8
Nissan’s ProPILOT Assist is a hands-on driving assistant designed to help drivers during long highway trips and the stop and go traffic of your daily commute. Using a front radar sensor and a front-facing camera located behind the rear-view mirror, it can maintain a gap with the car in front of you at a preset distance and help to keep the vehicle centered during single-lane driving, even on slight curves.
The ProPILOT Assist system combines Nissan’s Intelligent Cruise Control and Steering Assist technologies and includes a stop and hold function that can bring the vehicle to a full stop, hold in place, and can bring you back up to speed when traffic starts moving again.
The ProPILOT Assist system represents the first generation of advanced driver assistance features in Nissan vehicles.
The next generation of Nissan’s Assistance technology will support steering, braking, and accelerating during multi-lane driving.
ProPILOT Assist is available on the 2020 Nissan Rogue, 2020 Qashqai, 2020 LEAF, and 2020 Altima.
About Nissan Safety® Shield 3602
Nissan Safety Shield 360 is a suite of advanced driver-assist systems that use cameras, radar technology, and sonar to look in front, behind, and beside the vehicle, as it drives.
This suite of six advanced Nissan Intelligent Mobility features monitor around the vehicle and can step in to help keep you safe and include Intelligent Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection1, Blind Spot Warning, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Departure Warning, High Beam Assist and Rear Automatic Braking. Safety Shield 360 is available on the 2020 Versa, 2020 Sentra, 2020 Altima, 2020 Maxima, 2020 LEAF, 2020 Kicks, 2020 Qashqai, 2020 Rogue, 2020 Murano, and 2020 TITAN.