When you’ve got your grill ready to go but need a quick appetizer to feed guests, throw on this tasty garlic herb shrimp to make some delicious crostini.
“These grilled crostini are ideal for backyard summer hangouts. You can prep the tomatoes and grill the baguette ahead of time, then toss the shrimp on the grill once everyone is ready to start snacking,” shares Tom Filippou, executive chef for President’s Choice cooking school. “The number of shrimp in each package varies, so try to cut the baguette into the same number of slices as there are shrimp.”
Garlic Herb Shrimp and Pesto Crostini
• 1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes, chopped
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil, plus additional for oiling grill
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped basil
• Pinch (0.5 mL) salt
• Half baguette, sliced diagonally into ¼-inch/5-mm thick rounds (12 to 15 slices)
• 1 pkg (340 g) frozen PC garlic and herb grilling raw butterflied shrimp
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) pesto
1. Stir together tomatoes, 1 tbsp oil, basil and salt in small bowl.
2. Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush both sides of baguette slices with remaining 1 tbsp oil, dividing evenly. Arrange in single layer on grill. Cook, turning once, until grill-marked, about 4 minutes. Transfer to large plate. Set aside.
3. Brush grill with oil. Arrange frozen shrimp, shell side down, in single layer on grill. Close lid and cook over medium heat, turning halfway through cooking time, until opaque throughout and shells are pink; about 5 to 7 Transfer to separate large plate; remove and discard shells.
4. Spread pesto over top of baguette, dividing evenly. Top with shrimp and tomato mixture, dividing evenly.
Chef’s Tip: No barbecue? Arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil; bake in 400°F (200°C) oven, flipping baguette once, until crispy and light golden; about 6 minutes. Set aside. Arrange shrimp, shell side down, in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; bake in 450°F (230°C) oven until opaque throughout and shells are pink; about 10 to 12 minutes. – NC