(NC) A new take on the classic charcuterie board is quickly becoming one of the hottest food trends of 2020. Instead of cured meats, chefs and enthusiastic foodies have been creatively replacing them with fish and seafood in what’s cleverly coined “seacuterie.”
Ahead of the curve when it comes to what’s new and fresh in seafood, MSC ambassador chef Charlotte Langley has been creating delectable seacuterie boards and showcasing the variety of tastes and textures the sea has to offer since she began experimenting with food.
As a supporter and advocate for healthy oceans through sustainable seafood, she shares her favourite certified ocean-friendly seafood options, how-to tips and sides for building a stellar platter:
• Make sure to start by choosing seafood with the MSC blue fish label – this means it’s certified sustainable, wild and traceable to its source, so it’s good for the oceans, too.
• Add some decadence by using butter-poached lobster. Serve with whipped cream cheese, shaved fennel and cucumber salad.
• For a variety of colour and to give your platter some dimension, stack skinless and boneless canned mackerel. This pairs well with fresh tomato and ricotta.
• Add MSC certified tuna tataki, which is inspired by the Japanese method of searing fish briefly over a hot flame.
• Serve a small bowl or mason jar of wild smoked salmon “rillette” (recipe below).
• Try sweet and delicate cold-water shrimp, which often comes from local Canadian fisheries.
• For a delicious dip option, mix yogurt, fresh chopped dill, shallots and a squeeze of lemon juice for some acidity and kick.
• Elevate your platter by finishing with any of your favourite light and creamy dips, lemon wedges, grated horseradish, fresh bread and your choice of breads and crackers.
Wild Smoked Salmon ‘Rillette’
Prep time: 15 mins
Assembly time: 5 mins, no cooking required
• 1 lb (454 g or 2 cups) MSC-certified smoked wild salmon, chopped
• ½ lb (227 g or 1 cup) cream cheese, tempered
• ¼ lb (113.5 g or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, tempered
• 1 ½ tsp (6.4 g) chopped tarragon
• 1 ½ tsp (6.4 g) chopped dill
• ½ tsp (2 g) fennel seeds, toasted and ground
• Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine all ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Serve with your favourite crackers or crusty bread.
Learn more about sustainable seafood options at msc.org.