Auburn Hills, Mich. – Nearly 30 years ago, the Jeep® Grand Cherokee began its legacy as the most awarded SUV in history.
Today, following four groundbreaking generations of the vehicle, countless industry accolades and nearly 7 million in global sales, the Jeep brand continues to shatter expectations of the full-size SUV segment with the all-new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
The newest iteration is designed and engineered to deliver an unmatched combination of even more legendary 4×4 capability, superior on-road refinement, premium styling and craftsmanship inside and out, and a host of advanced safety and technology features.
The result is the all-new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L, for the first time ever with seating for six or seven.
“When you set out to reimagine an SUV as beloved as the Jeep Grand Cherokee, building on its nearly 30-year legacy as an overachiever is paramount to every decision that is made,” said Christian Meunier, Global President of Jeep Brand – FCA.
“With that legacy guiding the Jeep team, the new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee is crafted to exceed expectations and do what no other SUV can do: deliver legendary Jeep 4×4 off-road capability blended with superior on-road manners.
It is built on an all-new architecture and wrapped in a stunning new design that honors its iconic Jeep design heritage, while also extending to accommodate a third row to meet the growing needs of our Jeep customers who have asked for more space and functionality.
The Grand Cherokee L truly stands out in its segment and continues to raise the bar in capability, performance and luxury, while also breaking new ground in versatility and functionality.”
The state-of-the-art 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L is designed inside and out to deliver unmatched capability and composed driving dynamics. Its renowned 4×4 systems (Quadra-Trac I, Quadra-Trac II and QuadraDrive II), Quadra-Lift air suspension and Selec-Terrain traction management system instill Grand Cherokee L with the Jeep brand’s legendary 4×4 capability.
An all-new architecture and sculpted aerodynamic body style combine to improve vehicle performance, safety and reliability, while significantly reducing vehicle weight, noise, vibration and harshness. Designed to maximize overall passenger safety, comfort and convenience, Grand Cherokee L packs a powerful punch with next-generation features and technologies that make it a stand out in the full-size SUV segment.
Built at the new Detroit Assembly Complex – Mack Plant, the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L will arrive in Jeep dealerships in the second quarter of 2021 and will be available in four different trim configurations – Laredo, Limited, Overland and Summit.
The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee two-row and its 4xe electrified version are scheduled to start production at the Mack Assembly Plant later in 2021.
The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L delivers improved unrivaled capability along with composed on-road driving dynamics. Legendary off-road capability begins courtesy of three 4×4 systems – Quadra-Trac I, Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II with rear electronic limited slip-differential (eLSD). All three systems are equipped with an active transfer case to improve traction by moving torque to work with the wheel with the most grip.
Quadra-Trac I is a single-speed active transfer case that uses input from multiple sensors in the vehicle to pre-emptively adjust torque distribution and will continue to reactively make corrections if tire slip occurs. When wheel slippage is detected, as much as 100 percent of available torque is instantly routed to the axle with the most traction.
The Quadra-Trac II’s twospeed active transfer case with low-range gear reduction uses input from multiple sensors in the vehicle to pre-emptively adjust torque distribution and will continue to reactively make corrections if tire slip occurs. When wheel slippage is detected, as much as 100 percent of available torque is instantly routed to the axle with the most traction. Active 4-Low torque control with 2.72:1 gear ratio improves offroad maneuverability and delivers uncompromised performance.
Quadra-Drive II, with a twospeed active transfer case and rear eLSD, delivers industryleading tractive capability. The system instantly detects tire slip and smoothly reacts distributing engine torque to tires with traction. In some cases, the vehicle will anticipate low traction and pre-emptively adjust in order to limit or eliminate tire slip. Quadra-Drive II is available on the Overland 4×4 model when equipped with the Off-Road Group and standard on Summit models.
The class-exclusive Jeep Quadra-Lift air suspension, now with electronic adaptive damping, delivers class-leading ground clearance and water fording. The system automatically adjusts the shock tuning to changing road conditions for enhanced comfort, stability and control.
The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L’s Quadra-Lift system operates automatically, or may be controlled manually with console controls, and features five height settings for optimum ride performance:
• Normal Ride Height (NRH): 8.3 inches (212mm) of clearance offers improved fuel economy, as well as improved aerodynamics during on-road driving
• Off-road 1: Lifts the vehicle an additional 1.6 inches (40mm) from NRH for added height in clearing obstacles (9.9 inches)
• Off-road 2: Delivers legendary Jeep off-road capability and provides an additional 2.4 inches (60mm; 9 percent more range than previous generation) from NRH for increased, best-in-class ground clearance of 10.9 inches and up to 24 inches of water fording depth (improvement of four inches over previous generation)
• Park Mode: Lowers 1.8 inches (46mm) from NRH for easy ingress/egress, which levels down the vehicle twice as fast over the previous generation. NRH and Park Mode are driver-selectable, giving the driver full control over vehicle ride height. Air suspension improvements include a dual tank design to enable more controlled and quicker functionality
• Aero Mode: Lowers the vehicle 0.8 inches (21mm) from NRH. Aero Mode is controlled by vehicle speed and adjusts for optimal performance and fuel economy. The vehicle will also lower to Aero Mode when in Sport Mode Quadra-Lift adds up to 4.17 inches (106mm) of lift span supported by four-corner air springs that provide an air-cushioned, premium ride. The crawl ratio on the Grand Cherokee L is 44:1. With the available QuadraLift air suspension, the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L features a 30.1-degree approach angle, a 23.6-degree departure angle and 22.6-degree breakover angle.