MISSISSAUGA: For the fifth year in a row, the City of Mississauga’s Economic Development Office (EDO) ranked in the top 20 local and regional groups representing Canada’s Best Locations by Site Selection magazine.
The ranking is based on corporate end-user facility investment, job creation data and the magazine’s own research.
“Our ranking confirms Mississauga is a great place to invest and do business,” said Mayor Bonnie Crombie.
“We are a magnet for businesses looking to invest and home to a high-skilled workforce. More people come to Mississauga to work each day than leave to work elsewhere.
“That speaks volumes to our Economic Development Office’s efforts in creating an environment where businesses of any size can prosper, grow and thrive. Our strategic location, highlyskilled and talented workforce is unmatched, and we will continue to uphold this advantage to both attract and retain businesses that help shape our City.”
The 2021 results are based on data from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021. The selection process includes:
• The number of new facilities and expansions per capita
• Project capital investment per capita
• Job creation per capita
• Subjective analyses of website resources, programming and outreach efforts “Receiving this recognition from Site Selection is rewarding,” said Bonnie Brown, Director, Economic Development.
“The Economic Development team, with the support of Council, remain committed to serving our business community by offering programs and resources needed, while at the same time, continue to build upon the strategic priorities that will guide the City’s path towards sustained economic prosperity.”
Mississauga continues to attract creative and innovative companies with recent investments that include:
• HCL Technologies – Global Delivery Centre
• Congebec Inc. (expansion)
• Zifo RnD Solutions
• Mahavir Plastics Canada Ltd.
• Geneseeq Technology Inc.
• Resilience Biotechnologies Inc. (expansion) During the pandemic, EDO has offered many support tools and resources, including:
• A business relief portal with information on government programs and incentives
• Health, safety and re-opening resources aimed at informing and supporting business
• Sector specific resources aimed at helping businesses effectively and safely re-open
• Opportunities for business to contribute to COVID-19 causes
• Relevant news and updates for the business community
• Free webinars to help businesses respond to the impacts of COVID-19 pandemic. Mississauga is highlighted alongside other top Canadian economic development groups in Site Selection’s September 2021 issue. Mississauga is defined by its people and the communities in which they live, work and play, according to the city websige.
Mississauga offers unlimited possibilities of growth and development that offer unique opportunities for mixed use growth and development. Canada leads in the 2021 Global Groundwork Index Rankings