(NC) Meaty portabella mushrooms take the place of meat in these vegetarian-friendly pepper burrito bowls. Brown rice and beans make a healthy filling.
• 3 large red, green or orange peppers
• 2 cups cooked brown rice
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
• 3 large fresh portabella mushrooms, diced
• 1 small red onion, diced
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 can diced tomatoes, partially drained
• 1 pack Tex-Mex seasoning
• ¾ cup canned black beans
• ¾ cup (175 mL) frozen corn
• ½ cup shredded mozzarella
• Optional: chopped cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, salsa
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
2. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in a shallow baking dish.
3. Cook brown rice as per package instructions. Set aside.
4. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add diced portabellas and sauté 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic to the pan; sauté another 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes, Tex-Mex seasoning, black beans, corn and cooked rice to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until mixture thickens slightly; about 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Spoon rice mixture into each pepper half; ½ cup (125 mL) in each. Sprinkle each pepper with shredded cheese. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
6.Serve topped with cilantro, avocado, sour cream and salsa on the side.