IRVINE, CA: The 2022 Sorento Turbo Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) SUV is the latest addition to Kia’s ambitious ‘Plan S’ electrification strategy and the fourth generation Sorento model range, which was introduced last year in both gasoline-powered and turbo hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) forms.
Offering power, efficiency, allwheel drive capability and threerow seating accommodations, the 2022 Sorento Turbo PHEV will arrive in showrooms in the third quarter of 2021. Pricing will be announced closer to its on-sale date.
The new Sorento PHEV is offered with a 66.9 kW electric motor and a 1.6-liter turbocharged engine that combine to achieve 261 horsepower.
The Sorento PHEV has a targeted 32-mile pure electric driving range, the best of any 3-row PHEV SUV,3 with a projected combined overall range of 460 miles, helping it achieve a targeted 79 MPGe combined rating.1 Enhancing Sorento’s capabilities is standard torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive, offering go-anywhere confidence.
The Sorento PHEV delivers an upscale and feature-rich cabin accommodating up to six passengers. Its 143.8 cubic feet of passenger space and second-row legroom better any other PHEV SUV.2 Furthermore, it is the only mainstream PHEV SUV to offer three-row seating.
“The Sorento PHEV’s rare combination of drivability, efficiency and spaciousness will make it a compelling choice for our customers,” said Sean Yoon, president & CEO, Kia North America and Kia America.
“We’re proud to have it join the popular Sorento model range while also playing a pivotal role in the launch of Kia’s Plan S electrification strategy.”
The 2022 Kia Sorento PHEV will be offered in two trims: SX and SX-P. It will be built in Hwasung, Korea alongside the Sorento HEV. A Modern Design The exterior of the 2022 Sorento PHEV is defined by the same sharp, modern lines and high-tech details as the rest of the Sorento range.
PHEV-specific elements include:
• Specialized rear badging
• Standard 19-inch wheels The Sorento PHEV offers 143.8 cubic feet of passenger space, the most of any PHEV SUV.2 It also has more second-row legroom than any PHEV SUV.2 In addition to its roominess, premium feel, and vast feature content, the Sorento PHEV’s interior offers the following highlights:
• Standard three-row seating with second-row captain’s chairs
• Standard Syntex synthetic leather seating or available perforated leather seats The 2022 Sorento PHEV is built on the strong and versatile “N3” platform.
• Wheelbase is increased by nearly 1.4 inches over the previous generation of Sorento for more interior space
• Average tensile strength is improved by 4 percent compared to the previous generation of Sorento
A smooth and familiar driving experience for the 2022 Sorento PHEV comes from a sophisticated powertrain with a proven AWD system:
• A turbocharged 1.6-liter GDI 4-cylinder engine with a 66.9 kW electric motor
• 6-speed automatic transmission with standard paddle shifters
• 261 horsepower combined
• 13.8 kWh battery
• Targeted 32-mile all-electric range1
• Standard AWD with center locking differential and Drive Mode Select with Snow Mode5 Like the rest of the Sorento model range, the Sorento PHEV offers a wide array of available technology:
• 12.3-in. full digital meter cluster, a first for any Kia SUV (SX-P)
• Surround View Monitor utilizes four cameras to provide a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle, enhancing driver confidence in tight parking situations (SX-P)6
• Blind View Monitor projects live video view of adjacent lanes in the instrument cluster and is activated via the turn signal (SXP)6
• Electrochromic rear view mirror (SX-P)
• Bose11 premium sound system, available with 12 high-performance speakers
• Bose Centerpoint technology converts stereo sources into a richer surround-sound experience
• Dynamic Speed Compensation analyzes the sound source and automatically adjusts according to speed and much more… UVO link8 telematics offers an array of advanced connected vehicle features, such as:
• Connected Routing13: A new cloud-based route calculation system that uses UVO cloud to calculate the optimal route using real-time maps, predicted upcoming traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users
• Connected Weather: Provides weather information for more than 25,000 cities
• Enhanced UVO voice assist feature allows voice control of the vehicle’s climate, seat and steering-wheel heating, audio system, and other functions
• Advanced notifications:
• Engine Idle Notification and Automatic Engine Shut Off notifies the driver via the UVO link app if the engine is left idling and, after a pre-selected time, turns off the engine15 Also available within UVO, for the first time on any Kia, are two new features: On-demand Find My Car with Surround View Monitor uses the vehicle cameras to capture images of the vehicle’s surroundings and then share them via the Kia Access app17 and Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions to the driver’s final destination if the vehicle is parked between 0.1 and 1.2 miles away18 The Sorento PHEV offers a full suite of standard Kia Drive Wise Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS)4:
• Blind Spot Collision Avoidance Assist – Rear (BCA-Rear) with parallel exit:
• Driver Attention Warning (DAW)19: Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning
• Forward Collision Warning (FCW): Designed to detect a vehicle ahead in the lane
• Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA):
• Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist todetect most approaching cross traffic.