Medicare Expansion Under OHIP+ Benefits Half A Million Children, Youth Since Jan. 1
OTTAWA: Since January 1, more than 950,000 prescriptions have been filled for children and youth for free through OHIP+, the largest expansion to medicare in Ontario in a generation.
Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, was joined by Ottawa MPPs John Fraser, Bob Chiarelli, Marie-France Lalonde, Yasir Naqvi and Nathalie Des Rosiers on Monday at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario in Ottawa to mark this important milestone and ensure local families are aware of the program.
Ontario is the first province to provide free drug coverage to all children and youth 24 years of age and younger. Since the program began on January 1, 522,158 young people and their families have already benefited from having access to free prescription medications.
Through OHIP+, more than 4,400 prescription drugs are covered, including asthma inhalers, drugs to treat depression, anxiety, epilepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, antibiotics, insulin, diabetes test strips, birth control and many others.
All people have to do is present their Ontario health card number and a valid prescription for an eligible medication at an Ontario pharmacy to receive free drug coverage through OHIP+.
• Ontario is the first province to provide prescription medication coverage at no cost for children and youth age 24 years and under. Enrolment is automatic and there is no deductible.
• OHIP+ covers prescription medications listed on the Ontario Drug Benefit Formulary and additional medications eligible for funding through the Exceptional Access Program if an individual qualifies and it is prescribed by a doctor or nurse practitioner.
• Ontario’s online search tool helps people quickly and easily search through a list of more than 4,400 publicly funded medications and other drugs.
• Over 64,000 prescriptions have been filled in the Ottawa region since OHIP+ launched on January 1, 2018.
• Talk to your family doctor or nurse practitioner about how OHIP+ can benefit your family.
• For any questions about OHIP+ or Exceptional Access Program (EAP) applications, email OHIPplus@Ontario.ca or call 1-866-811-9893 or 416-327-8109 in Toronto.