BRAMPTON: In preparation for the approaching cold and flu season and potential future waves of COVID-19, William Osler Health System (Osler) is opening a dedicated clinic to test, medically assess and provide care for people with cold, flu-like and possible COVID-19 symptoms.
Symptoms of COVID-19, the cold and the flu are very similar and testing is the best way to diagnose which of these illnesses a person may have.
Osler’s COVID-19, Cold and Flu Clinic will serve people with moderate symptoms and who need to see a physician for care. The Clinic opened at Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness (Peel Memorial) on Tuesday, September 15), and will operate from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. daily. Beginning October 1, hours will expand to 10:00 a.m.until 8:00 p.m.
“Typically during the influenza season, hospitals see an increase in visits from patients with symptoms. This year, the presence of COVID-19 makes this surge much more complex, and a dedicated response is needed to support our community,” said Dr. Naveed Mohammad, President and CEO, William Osler Health System.
“The new COVID-19, Cold and Flu Clinic will increase access to safe assessment and testing for people who have symptoms and will provide an additional, convenient option for care outside of Osler’s Emergency Departments.”
Osler has now performed more than 165,000 COVID-19 tests – the most of any hospital in Ontario. In addition to this new Clinic, Osler’s COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing Centres in Brampton and Etobicoke will continue to operate, serving people who have no or mild symptoms, and want to be tested for the virus.
“Throughout this pandemic, Osler has continuously stepped up its efforts to combat COVID-19, and testing remains critical to reducing the virus’ spread,” said Dr. Mohammad. “With a dedicated focus on both testing and care, our new COVID-19, Cold and Flu Clinic is another important part of Osler’s comprehensive COVID-19 response=.” What do I need to know about Osler’s COVID-19, Cold and Flu Clinic?
• The Clinic is open today (Tuesday, September 15), at Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness at 20 Lynch Street in Brampton, and will occupy the temporarily-closed Urgent Care Centre space. The Clinic will operate daily from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. On October 1, the Clinic’s hours will be expanded to 10:00 a.m. until 8 p.m. Appointments are not required.
• Osler’s COVID-19, Cold and Flu Clinic will serve patients over the age of six months who have moderate COVID-19, flu and/or cold symptoms, including fever (temperature of 37.8°C or above) not caused from a known infection or illness; plus any worsening: cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, hoarse voice, runny nose or sneezing, nasal congestion, loss of taste or smell, nausea and vomiting, or diarrhea or abdominal pain, flu-like illness, pink eye/redness of the eye(s).
• Measures are in place to ensure the safety of patients, staff and physicians. Patients will be provided with and required to wear masks and use hand sanitizer prior to entering the Clinic. To support physical distancing, depending on patient volumes and a patient’s symptoms, some may be asked to wait in their cars until a nurse/physician is available to see them.
• Anyone who is unsure about whether they should visit one of Osler’s COVID-19 Testing Centres or the COVID-19, Cold and Flu Clinic, should contact their family doctor or call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-000.
• The Urgent Care Centre at Peel Memorial remains temporarily closed. If you are feeling severely ill and require emergency care, always call 911 or go to your nearest Emergency Department. Osler’s Emergency Departments remain open 24/7 to provide urgent and emergency care.
Osler’s Testing Centres Osler’s COVID-19 Testing Centres at South Fletcher’s Sportsplex (Brampton) and the Humber College overflow parking lot (Queens Plate Drive and Highway 27) are open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and patients do not require an appointment or referral.
For details about Osler’s Drive-Thru COVID-19 Testing Centres and the COVID-19, Cold and Flu Clinic, visit www.williamoslerhs.ca/coronavirus.