NC) Whether you’re making the scenic drive north to the cottage or pitching a tent on a lakeside site, it’s important to make sure your home stays protected while you’re absent.
And keeping what you love safe can involve more than just locking up behind you.
Fortunately, there are things you can do to help secure your home. Leading insurance provider Belairdirect recommends these best practices to help keep your property safe while you’re enjoying other adventures.
Secure your home from the outside
• Ask a trusted neighbor or friend to collect your mail and newspapers so they don’t pile up.
• When loading your gear, keep your vehicle in the garage with the door closed.
• Don’t hide a key outside, under a mat, or anywhere else. Secure your home from the inside
• Insert “window stops” on first floor and basement window frames and activate the “anti-lift” or “anti-slide” features of sliding windows/doors, or place a solid bar of the same length into the track to stop the door from sliding. ; Display an alarm company’s protection notice in windows near entrances.
• Keep your garage door closed and locked and store the opener in your house instead of your car if leaving one parked outside.; Take an inventory of your belongings. Many people underestimate the total value of their belongings.
Social media tips
• Don’t post that you are leaving; Refrain from announcing a countdown to your adventure.
• Consider waiting to post photos of where you are until after you have returned home. A little care can go a long way in protecting your home and peace of mind while you’re away.
In the event that your home is broken into, your insurance provider will be there to support you every step of the way. Learn more about protecting your home from belairdirect.com or your insurance company.