TORONTO, March 3, 2020 /CNW/ – Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc. (RBH) achieved Smoke-Free Culture certification, becoming the first company in Canada to receive the recognition.
RBH is on a transformational journey to a smoke-free future with a goal to Unsmoke Canada. Part of that transformation includes empowering its employees.
This certification recognizes RBH’s commitment to establish a company culture towards a smoke-free future and encourages employees to remove cigarette smoke from their lives.
In addition to ensuring federal and provincial laws are followed, RBH has met the following criteria to obtain the certification:
- Effectively inform employees who smoke about the harm associated with cigarette smoke from both a health, personal wellbeing, and social relations perspective while encouraging them to quit smoking.
- Responsibly inform cigarette smokers who will continue smoking – use nicotine or tobacco products – that there are better, less harmful, smoke-free alternatives to cigarettes.
- Actively inform the entire organization of the value and importance of a Smoke-Free environment that could significantly improve the relations among smokers and non-smokers, contributing to a more harmonious environment of cooperation and mutual respect
RBH obtained the certification from TUV AUSTRIA, an independent standards institution, following a comprehensive audit conducted in the Toronto head office and the Québec City factory.
Being the first company in Canada to be Smoke-Free Culture Certified, RBH will aim to assist other Canadian organizations in how they can help their workforces quit smoking and look for tobacco alternatives to establish a smoke-free culture.
QUOTES: Anu Wadhwani, People and Culture Director, RBH:
- The Smoke-Free Culture certification provides adult smokers in our organization with solutions to help them quit tobacco, and for those adult smokers who would otherwise continue to smoke, information and access to smoke-free alternatives.
- The auditors with TUV AUSTRIA were pleased with the work we have done and expressed confidence that we are on the right track.
- Our hope is that other Canadian companies will see what we have been able to achieve by supporting and educating our employees, and in turn, will do the same within their organization.
- As Canadian employers look for ways to support the health and wellbeing of their workforce, RBH will share their experience and guide others in the certification process to be recognized as a responsible and caring employer in Canada.
QUOTE: Charalampos Angeloudis, Deputy General Manager, TÜV AUSTRIA Hellas:
- RBH demonstrated they have a plan to support, implement, monitor and continuously improve and encourage the establishment of a culture supporting a smoke-free environment and that is why they have been awarded with the Smoke-Free Culture Certificate by TÜV AUSTRIA.