MISSISSAUGA: The City of Mississauga has opened registration for its Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program.
The program assists adults aged 65 years or older and people with physical disabilities with windrow clearing this winter.
A windrow is the pile of snow left at the end of a driveway after a snowplow has cleared the street. Eligible participants will have windrows cleared beginning November 26, 2021 until March 28, 2022.
A space of about 10 feetwide will be cleared, providing enough space to allow one car to get in and out of the driveway. The program does not include clearing the entire driveway.
“The City is once again offering this popular service to eligible residents,” said Mickey Frost, Director, Works Operations and Maintenance.
“Windrow clearing will be done once all roads are plowed, which can take up to 36 hours after it stops snowing. In addition, windrows may not be cleared to bare pavement, but they will be made safe enough for cars to pass through.”
• Applications will be accepted now until November 12, 2021
• Service will begin November 26, 2021 and end March 28, 2022
• Cost is $200 (non-refundable) or free for those who meet financial assistance criteria.
• 300 spaces are available on a first-come, first-serve basis Eligibility:
• 65 years of age in 2021 or older
• People with physical disabilities – must be verified by a regulated health professional
• No able-bodied person can be living at the same residence as participant
• Participant cannot be living in a high-rise, multi-unit building, condominium or within a commercial property
• Participant’s residence cannot be on a private road
• Only one person per address can participate Applications can be made online at mississauga.ca/windrow or in person at any of the City’s 10 community centres, the Mississauga Seniors’ Centre or the Recreation Service Centre at Paramount Fine Foods Centre.