TORONTO: The all-new fourth-generation Kia Sorento changes the game. Again.
Since its debut in 2002, the Sorento is one of Kia’s best-known and best-selling vehicles in Canada, becoming progressively more powerful, more attractive, better engineered, and more technologically advanced in each new iteration.
The 2021 model sets a new standard for Sorento’s sustained excellence and leadership as a rewarding SUV.
“We can’t wait for drivers to experience this phenomenal evolution,” says Elias El-Achhab, Chief Operating Officer at Kia Canada. “Just like the award-winning Telluride, the all-new
and refined Sorento is truly a class above.”
The all-new 2021 Sorento is expected to go on sale later this year and pricing will be announced closer to its on-sale date.
A Sorento for Everyone The 2021 Sorento will be offered in six trims: LX+, LX Premium, first-ever X-Line, EX, EX+, and SX, all with standard AWD, 3rd-row seating and available in two powertrains. The XLine is an all-new trim that will be the entry-point for the impressive 2.5T engine and will boast a distinctive look with 20” wheels and a gratifying interior with 2nd-row captain’s chairs.
All New and Dynamic, Inside and Out The exterior of the 2021 Sorento is characterized by sharp, modern lines accentuated with high-tech details – elevating the entire Sorento experience beyond a standard SUV.
This evolution of Kia’s dynamic aesthetic is exemplified best in the following details:
• Kia’s modernized “tiger face,” with new “eyeline” details and a wide and thin front grille extending into the headlight and hood structure
• The hood edge wraps around the body side and integrates into the rear shoulder line, enhancing length and width
• Standard LED headlamps and optional signature LED forward lighting includes daytime running lights. Headlamp and DRL modules are separated for a high-tech look
• Strong side character line emphasizes the muscular and athletic profile
• Split-vertical LED taillights
• Four different alloy wheels, from 17-inches to 20-inches, which is the largest ever for Sorento The all-new interior continues the strong, solid, and sophisticated modernity of the exterior. Following a credo of “Refined Boldness,” the interior designers instilled the cabin with unexpected materials to cast a striking effect, including:
• Bright satin finishes
• Available metal texture inlays or open-pore wood inlays
• Leather embossed quilt pattern on optional leather-equipped models Built on a Strong Foundation The 2021 Sorento is built on an all-new 3rd generation “N3” platform that is lighter and stronger than previous models.
• Increased wheelbase by 35mm (1.37 inches) for more interior space
• Body-in-white weight is reduced by 5.6% and the overall weight is reduced by 3.1%
• Average tensile strength is improved by 4% compared to the previous Sorento
• Improved driving dynamics, including acceleration, ride, and handling, and noise vibration and harshness (NVH) Two engines are offered on the 2021 Sorento, each with standard
all-wheel drive (AWD) and the addition of Terrain modes:
• 2.5-liter GDI 4-cylinder
◦ 8-speed automatic transmission
◦ 191 horsepower and182 lb.-ft. torque
◦ AWD system uses torque-vectoring with center-locking differential to provide extra power to rear wheels in slippery conditions2 Estimated combined (city and highway) 9.7 L/100km represents a 4.9% improvement over the outgoing 2.4L 20MY engine (10.2L/100km).
A2.5-liter GDI 4-cylinder Turb along with Segment exclusive 8-speed wet dual-clutch automatic transmission promotes lightning-fast gear changes without interrupting torque delivery
◦ 281 horsepower and 311 lb.- ft. torque
◦ 3,500 lbs of towing capability; Estimated combined (city and highway) 9.9 L/100km representing 10.8% improvement over outgoing 3.3L 20MY engine (11.1 L/100km) Like all Kia vehicles, the new Sorento is loaded with an extensive list of advanced technology:
Available features include:
12.3-in. full digital meter cluster (a Sorento first and first for any Kia Canada SUV); Surround View Monitor utilizes four cameras to provide a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle and Blind View Monitor projects live video view of adjacent lanes in the instrument cluster and is activated via the turn signal; Up to 8 USB ports (trim level dependent); 8-inch or available 10.25-inch high-resolution color touchscreen display3; Split-screen functionality and UVO Intelligence link telematics that offers an array of advanced connected vehicle features, such as:
Connected Routing4 is a new cloud-based route calculation system that uses the UVO cloud to calculate the optimal route using real-time maps, predicted upcoming traffic info based on historical information and AI.
This 4th generation Sorento is equipped with the leading-edge technology of Kia’s Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS)5.