Home Business Toronto stock marketsup, loonie slides lower against United states
The industrials sector helped boost Canada’s main stock index higher in late-morning trading, while U.S. stock markets also surged higher.
- The S&P/TSX composite index was up 44.14 points at 16,211.70.
- In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average was up 145.15 points at 25,890.82. The S&P 500 index was up 17.30 points at 2,841.53, while the Nasdaq composite was up 68.87 points at 7,797.84.
- The Canadian dollar traded for 74.83 cents US compared with an average of 75.09 cents US on Wednesday.
- The May crude contract was up a penny at US$60.24 per barrel and the April natural gas contract was down one cent at US$2.81 per mmBTU.
- The April gold contract was up US$7.50 at US$1,309.20 an ounce and the May copper contract was up 0.6 of a cent at US$2.93 a pound.