When you’ve got your grill ready to go but need a quick appetizer to feed your guests, throw on this tasty garlic herb shrimp to make some delicious crostini.
“These grilled crostini are ideal for backyard summer hangouts. You can prep the tomatoes and grill the baguette ahead of time, then toss the shrimp on the grill once everyone is ready to start snacking,” shares Tom Filippou, executive chef for President’s Choice cooking school.
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
• 2 tbsp olive oil divided
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
• Pinch (0.5 mL) salt
• Half baguette, sliced diagonally into ¼-inch/5-mm thick rounds (12 to 15 slices)
• 1 pkg (340 g) frozen PC garlic and herb grilling raw butterflied shrimp
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) pesto
1. Stir together tomatoes, 1 tbsp oil, basil and salt in small bowl.
2. Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush both sides of baguette slices with remaining 1 tbsp oil, dividing evenly. Arrange in single layer on grill. Cook, turning once, until grill-marked, about 4 minutes. Transfer to large plate. Set aside.
3. Brush grill with oil. Arrange frozen shrimp, shell side down, in single layer on grill. Close lid and cook over medium heat, turning halfway through cooking time, until opaque throughout and shells are pink.
4. Spread pesto over top of baguette, dividing evenly. Top with shrimp and tomato mixture.
Chef’s Tip: No barbecue? Arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil; bake in 200°C oven, flipping baguette once, until crispy and light golden; about 6 minutes. Set aside. Arrange shrimp, shell side down, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; bake in 230°C oven until opaque throughout and shells are pink. – newscanada