(NC) Have a sweet tooth? This vegan-friendly take on traditional chocolate mousse is guaranteed to satisfy the sweet tooth of every chocolate lover in your house. After one bite, you’ll only have eyes for these kinds of pies.
• 3 ½ cups whole mini pretzels or thin pretzel sticks
• 1 stick unsalted or vegan butter
• 3 tbsp granulated sugar
• 1 (12-ounce) package soft or extra-soft or silken tofu
• 1 cup frozen banana slices
• ½ cup almond butter
• ¼ cup Almond Breeze chocolate almond beverage
• ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 8 oz good-quality chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
• Whipped coconut cream
• Chopped chocolate
• Extra crushed pretzels
1. Make the crust: Place a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 350°F. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, pulse pretzels until they form mostly fine crumbs with a few more textured pieces remaining throughout. If you don’t have or prefer not to use a food processor, place the pretzels in a ziptop bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
2. Melt butter in large, heatproof bowl in the microwave. Add pretzel crumbs (you should have about 1 ½ cups; make a few extra or subtract as needed) to the bowl. Add sugar, then stir until evenly moist and combined. The crumbs should hold together easily when pressed. If they don’t, add 1 to 2 tbsp additional melted butter.
3. Press crumbs into the bottom and up the sizes of a 9-inch pie dish. Bake for 8 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly, then place in the freezer or refrigerator to cool completely until at or below room temperature.
4. Make the filling: While the crust cools, place tofu, frozen banana, almond butter, chocolate almond beverage and cocoa powder in a blender. Blend until completely smooth. In a microwave-safe or heatproof bowl, set over a pan of simmering water, melt chocolate and then add it to the blender and blend again until very smooth.
5. Pour filling into the cooled crust and smooth the top. Refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, top with whipped coconut cream, chocolate and pretzels as desired. Slice and enjoy. Find more delicious recipes using plant-based beverages at almondbreeze.ca.