These easy-to-make and delicious zucchini boats are a perfect side, appetizer or snack. Blend mushrooms with meat to cut down costs, lighten the meal and add an extra serving of veggies.
If you aren’t a big spice fan, then reduce the heat by removing the chipotle pepper. The •Bonus: the filling can be made a day ahead of time). Recipe Courtesy of: Sweet Peas and Saffron.
• 200 g •7 oz white button mushrooms, ends trimmed
• 6 medium-sized zucchinis
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2-pound ground turkey
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup corn kernels
• Juice of 1 lime
• 1 chipotle pepper, finely diced
• 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
• 1.5 cups shredded cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. Add mushrooms to a large food processor and pulse.
3. Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scoop the insides out, leaving about half a centimeter around the skin. Chop zucchini insides into small pieces.
4. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and ground turkey and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms, chopped zucchini flesh, cumin, chili powder and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked through.
6. Add corn kernels, lime juice, adobo sauce and chipotle pepper. Stir to combine. Remove pan.
7. In a 9×13-inch baking dish, arrange scooped-out zucchinis.
8. Spoon the turkey and mushroom mixture in. Top with cheese.
9. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, until cheese is bubbly, and zucchinis are cooked through